In last Saturday’s Fajr halaqa we began tafseer of Suratu Yaa Sin, a great surah. I wanted to share a benefit with every Muslim inshaAllaah.
إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْيِي الْمَوْتَى وَنَكْتُبُ مَا قَدَّمُوا وَآثَارَهُمْ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ أَحْصَيْنَاهُ فِي إِمَامٍ مُبِينٍ
“Verily, We give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before (them), and their traces, and all things We have recorded with numbers (as a record) in a Clear Book.”
Shaykh As-Sa’dee says in his tafseer:
‘and We record that which they send before (them), Of the good and the bad, and these are the deeds which they carried out during their lifetime
‘and their traces,’ These are the traces / results of good or bad which they are the reasons for the happening of these actions –during their life and their death-, and those actions which came about from their statements, actions, and conditions…’ To the end of his words.
All of us know about our actions.
Most of us though, forget our ‘traces’.
We need to beware of being pioneers and teachers of evil: you showed him how to steal, and how she taught her how to be ungrateful to her husband, and you pointed him to the use of drugs, and you introduced her into having illegal relationships, and you encouraged him to listen to music so that he becomes ‘gangster’ or she becomes ‘cool’ and not left-out ……
Every time they commit that sin; you have your count also, your burden is getting heavier and heavier.
The Prophet (sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) said:
مَنْ دَعَا إِلَى هُدَى كَانَ لَهُ مِنْ الْأَجْر مِثْل أُجُور مَنْ تَبِعَهُ لَا يَنْقُص ذَلِكَ مِنْ أُجُورهمْ شَيْئًا ، وَمَنْ دَعَا إِلَى ضَلَالَة كَانَ عَلَيْهِ مِنْ الْإِثْم مِثْل آثَام مَنْ تَبِعَهُ لَا يَنْقُص ذَلِكَ مِنْ آثَامِهِمْ شَيْئًا
“The one who calls / guides to guidance [what is righteous] he will have like the reward of the one who followed him [and does that action] without reducing their reward, and the one who calls / guides to misguidance [sins]; he will have like the sin of the one who followed him [and does that action] without reducing their sins.” [Narrated by Muslim, Tirmidhee, Abu Dawud]
So let each of us really think of what legacy he is leaving behind.
Now this was about what you direct to, what you teach others. As f0r the individual/personal level, this verse shows us the great Mercy of Allaah, and also directs us to the best investment one can ever make.
There is no loss ever, The profit is 10 times up to 700 times your capital, there is no stock market which will crash here, no creditors preying on you, there are no rogue CEO’s or brokers, no fine print at the bottom of the contract. And yes of course; no collectors or tele-marketers.
Just the best trade, the best investment to put forth for yourself; i.e. If you really care for eternal success.
The only condition is: al-Ikhlaas [sincerity, purity of intention to Allaah].
Look at this great hadeeth:
The Prophet (sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) said:
إِنَّ مِمَّا يَلْحَقُ الْمُؤْمِنَ مِنْ عَمَلِهِ وَحَسَنَاتِهِ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهِ عِلْمًا عَلَّمَهُ وَنَشَرَهُ وَوَلَدًا صَالِحًا تَرَكَهُ وَمُصْحَفًا وَرَّثَهُ أَوْ مَسْجِدًا بَنَاهُ أَوْ بَيْتًا لِابْنِ السَّبِيلِ بَنَاهُ أَوْ نَهْرًا أَجْرَاهُ أَوْ صَدَقَةً أَخْرَجَهَا مِنْ مَالِهِ فِي صِحَّتِهِ وَحَيَاتِهِ يَلْحَقُهُ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَوْتِهِ
“Surely from the things which ‘catch up’ with the believer –after his death- from his good deeds is:
– Knowledge which he taught and spread
– A Pious child he left
– A Mushaf which he bequeathed
– A Masjid which he built
– A house he built for the traveller
– A spring which channelled
– Charity which he gave out from his wealth –while he was alive and healthy:
The reward will be ascribed to him after his death.”
[Narrated by Ibn Maajah, al-Bayhaqee, al-Mundhiree said in Targheeb that it is hasan, likewise al-Albaani in Saheeh Targheeb: 77, 112]
The scholars have indicated that this hadeeth expounds on the hadeeth which says:
إذَا مَاتَ ابْنُ آدَمَ انْقَطَعَ عَمَلُهُ إلَّا مِنْ ثَلَاثٍ : صَدَقَةٌ جَارِيَةٌ ، أَوْ عِلْمٌ يَنْتَفِعُ بِهِ ، أَوْ وَلَدٌ صَالِحٌ يَدْعُو لَهُ
“When a person dies, his deeds are cut-off except for three [meaning the reward for them continues even after his death]: the continuous charity, or the knowledge which other benefit from, or the pious child who supplicates for him.” [Narrated by Muslim, Nasaa’ee, Abu Dawud]
Brief notes on the above hadeeth:
– Knowledge which he taught and spread : between the people, like by transmitting, and giving fatwa, or authoring
– A Pious child he left: A Muslim child who he leaves behind and he supplicates for him
– A Mushaf which he bequeathed: meaning he left it for his heirs. And it is assumable that the same is for the books of hadeeth like the two Saheehs
– A Masjid which he built: For the sake of Allaah, not to show-off or to gain fame
– A house he built for the traveller: For the sake of Allaah, not to show-off or to gain fame, meaning a khaana [a guest-house] where the passing traveller to Jihad or Hajj finds accommodation
– A river he channelled: Meaning he dug it up and canaled the water for the life of the earth and its inhabitants
– Charity which he gave out from his wealth –while he was alive and healthy: While he has hope that he still has [a long] life and he fears he might become poor. ‘
The notes are taken from Faydhul Qadeer of al-Munnaawi.
In his notes on Sunan Ibn Maajah, as-Sindee said about the point:
– A Mushaf which he bequeathed: meaning he left it for his heirs. And this point and whatever is mentioned after it [A Masjid which he built, A house he built for the traveller, A spring which channelled, Charity which he gave out from his wealth] are all types of the Sadaqatul-Jaariya [continuous charity].’
InshaAllaah detailed excellences & explanations of each of the above will come later.
So invest today [before it is too late], invest and succeed.